Humanitarianresponse Logo

FSC Technical Series - Over 730,000 people across Somalia face acute food insecurity despite improvements in some areas, 29th January 2015

Nearly 203,000 children are acutely malnourished

January 29, 2015, Nairobi/Washington – Despite improved food security following the Deyr harvest, improved livestock conditions, and mostly stable staple food prices, a large number of people across Somalia will be acutely food insecure through June 2015. Many children remain acutely malnourished, despite a small decrease in their numbers over the past six months.

An estimated 731,000 people will be in Crisis and Emergency (IPC Phases 3 and 4) through mid-2015, according to the latest findings from a joint assessment by the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit for Somalia (FSNAU), a project managed by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations; the Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET), a project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID); and other partners. This figure represents a 29 percent decrease from the July-to December 2014 estimate. Internally displaced persons (IDPs) constitute 76 percent of the total number of people in Crisis and Emergency (IPC Phases 3 and 4), with the remaining 24 percent divided equally between rural and urban populations (12% each). 

Webspace(s): 
Organization(s): 
Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit
Original Publication Date: 
29 Jan 2015
Document type: 
Analysis Report
Location(s): 
Somalia
Theme(s): 
Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC)
Coordination hub(s): 
Nairobi