Humanitarianresponse Logo

Nigeria: WFP Rapid Food Security Assessment in Banki, Gwoza and Pulka, Borno State, June 2017

Methodology: 
This report combines both the household and market data. A total of 273 newly arrived IDP households (HHs) were randomly sampled and interviewed by trained enumerators across Banki (105 HHs), Gwoza (89 HHs) and Pulka (79 HHs). These selected households responded to questions regarding their food consumption and coping strategies deployed to manage food shortage. Households surveys were conducted by WFP’s cooperating partners, namely Social Welfare Network Initiative (Pulka and Gwoza) and INTERSOS (Banki). Focus group discussions (FGDs) were also conducted with a cohort of newly arrived female IDPs within the three communities to gain deeper insights into potential abnormal coping strategies deployed when access to food is limited. In all, 49 percent of all the assessed households were female headed across Banki (25 percent), Gwoza (54 percent) and Pulka (41 percent). Moreover, 48 percent of the households were newly arrived returnees (i.e. previously residing within community prior to displacement) and the remaining 52 percent were newly arrived IDPs (i.e. displaced from other communities). About 40 percent of these newly arrived households have spent less than one month within the communities with the highest in Banki (60 percent), Gwoza (36 percent) and Pulka (25 percent). The market interviews were administered primarily to market chiefs. Availability and prices of most consumed food commodities were collected.
Key findings: 
1. The prevalence of poor food consumption is relatively high across Banki (73 percent), Gwoza (41 percent) and Pulka (36 percent). Households in Banki are most affected due to the high influx of refugees. Poor food consumption was also higher among newly arrived households and those that had not received food assistance, highlighting the importance of food aid to these households. 2. There is a high reliance on emergency coping strategies such as begging and sale of productive female animals in order to bridge food availability gaps in about 61 percent of households with more households within Banki adopting such. Moreover, the use of these strategies was more common among newly arrived households that had spent less than three months within the communities. 3. Livelihood activities remain negatively impacted within the three communities due to ongoing military operations and restrictions, coupled with heightened insecurity in neighbouring towns. Consequently, the purchasing power of household remains frail due to extremely limited income. 4. In addition to sub-optimally functioning markets, local food deficits and high food prices remain pronounced across the three communities. In the absence of sustained food assistance, these, coupled with limited livelihood activities will exacerbate food insecurity and vulnerability within households particularly newly arriving ones. 5. While the malnutrition situation in Gwoza and Pulka was not beyond acceptable levels, proxy indication from Banki shows an alarming nutrition situation (average of 10 new SAM cases daily) which was underscored by the high influx of refugees coupled with the shortfall of food supply within the community. 6. Regarding needs prioritization, food remains the most important priority need in 74 percent of the households, followed by water (45 percent) and Shelter (39 percent), a trend which was consistent across the three communities.
Sample size: 
64,000 IDPs: Gwoza (9,349) and Pulka (55,000)
Assessment Report: 
Assessment Questionnaire: 
Publicly Available
Assessment Data: 
Publicly Available
Webspace(s): 
Assessment Date(s): 
03 Jul 2017

Level of Representation

District / Province / Locality / County
Status: 
Report completed
Unit(s) of Measurement: 
Community
Households
Collection Method(s): 
Key Informant Interview
Focus group discussion
Population Type(s): 
IDPs
Returnees
Leading/Coordinating Organization(s): 
World Food Programme
Location(s): 
Bama
Gwoza
Theme(s): 
Cash Transfer Programming
Market Assessment
Disaster(s)/Emergency: 
Nigeria: Complex Emergency - 2014-2019